Key investors in Byju's alleged on Tuesday that the Enforcement Directorate (ED) is investigating diversion of funds of over $500 million by the edtech company to a hedge fund in the US.
In the ongoing hearing at the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) in Bengaluru, the investors alleged that the address of the hedge fund was a "pancake shop" and its founder "is a 23-year-old without any training".
"About $533 million has been siphoned off. He (Byju Raveendran) wants us to invest more money. How will we be protected?"
Byju’s key investors -- Prosus, General Atlantic, Sofina and Peak XV -- have moved the tribunal against the embattled edtech major over its $200 million rights issue.
During the hearing, the investors claimed that "if the amount is parked in their bank account especially when the man is sitting abroad and is not coming to India, it will become irreversible".
Earlier in the day, the investors argued that the process adopted by Byju’s for its $200 million rights issue is "in breach of laws".
They said that the board of directors had to call an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) of shareholders before the rights issue so that they could vote.
"The board of directors did not call a general body meeting before rights issues as they are aware that the general body is not in their favour," argued the lawyer on investors' behalf.
"Our 25.4 per cent stake will come down to 2.5 per cent if we don't subscribe to the rights issue. If we subscribe, we don't know what happens to our money," the investors said.
Byju’s argued that the investors were “forum shopping” by approaching the NCLT.
"If the NCLT passes any order today, it will dilute the order of Karnataka HC," the company's lawyer said.
"The investors are not looking at the interest of 100 million students and the 12,000 employees but only at their value maximisation."
"It has been 21 months since our last capital raise," the company added.
India steps up vigil against cheap Chinese imports amid US tariff hike
India has stepped up vigil to prevent the dumping of cheap Chinese imports in the country after the steep US tariff hike on the goods exported by the Communist country.
Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump's reciprocal tariffs
The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as the dollar index and oil prices dropped sharply amid concerns over recession in the US economy after the reciprocal tariffs were announced.
Sensex, Nifty open lower amid weak global cues post Trump tariffs
Indian frontline indices opened in the red on Friday following global sell-off in the equity markets in reaction to the reciprocal tariffs announced by US President Donald Trump.
Sensex, Nifty open lower as Trump tariffs trigger global sell-off
Indian equity indices opened lower on Thursday following a sharp sell-off in global markets after the US President Donald Trump announcement of reciprocal tariffs.
India stands less impacted by Trump tariffs than global peers: Industry
As US President Donald Trump announced reciprocal tariffs on dozens of countries, including India, industry experts said on Thursday that it appears India's export competitiveness to the US market stands far less impacted on a relative basis compared to global peers.
Sensex, Nifty end higher ahead of US reciprocal tariffs announcement
The Indian stock market bounced back on Wednesday, with both the Sensex and Nifty closing higher, just before the reciprocal tariffs deadline set by US President Donald Trump.
Early April critical for investors’ sentiment amid key economic data: Report
Early April will be critical for market sentiment, with key economic data releases providing insights into global manufacturing, employment trends and economic activity, a report showed on Monday.
Foreign investors pump Rs 31,000 crore into Indian stocks as market rebounds
Foreign investors have injected nearly Rs 31,000 crore into Indian equity markets in the last six trading sessions of March, according to the latest depository data.