In view of some videos posted on YouTube channels claiming that all Indian spices contain cow dung and cow urine, the Delhi High Court has ordered Google to take them down.
These videos targeted several Indian brands, including 'Catch Foods'.
Justice Sanjeev Narula of the Delhi High Court prohibited the Two YouTube channels from defaming and violating the copyright of the conglomerate Dharampal Satyapal Sons Pvt Ltd, which is the owner of goods sold under the 'Catch' brand.
The court observed that the videos contained defamatory words without any justification.
Stating that the defendants made such fraudulent statements and spread false information under the guise of disclosing truth or facts concerning Indian spices, the court noted that there was no authoritative material or underlying cause for this.
The court said: "The impugned videos contain defamatory remarks against the plaintiff's products without any basis. The plaintiff has placed on record a list of ingredients contained in its products/spices advertised in the impugned videos. It has obtained certification from all the concerned regulatory bodies and has even presented reports of an independent food analysis by a certified laboratory, which do not indicate presence of cow dung, cow urine or any other contaminants, as alleged in the impugned videos."
Google had already been directed to disable access to the videos and provide the basic subscriber data, which it did and later summons were issued to TVR and Views News. As they did not show up, the court decided to continue ex-parte.
Rule 4(4) of the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021, which mandates additional due diligence to be observed by social media intermediaries in case such content is uploaded or streamed online, was also brought to the court's attention by the plaintiff who urged for a summary judgement.
The court observed that the defendants' failure to take action to remove the infringing content notwithstanding the plaintiff's complaint, which was also confirmed by one of the defendants, demonstrated mala fide intentions.
As a result, the court decreed the suit against the defendants. It directed that in the event the videos appear again, the plaintiff might give Google the URLs, and Google will be required to take the appropriate steps to ensure that they are removed.
The court made it clear that if the content is different, Google could let the plaintiff know within a week and the plaintiff could then take appropriate legal action.
Manipur Police arrest 11 militants, recover large cache of arms, ammunition
The Manipur Police arrested 11 militants belonging to various banned outfits and recovered a large cache of arms and ammunition during the past 24 hours, officials said here on Friday.
PM Modi unveils 21-point action plan at 6th BIMSTEC Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday presented a comprehensive 21-point action plan during the sixth BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, laying out an ambitious road map for cooperation across diverse sectors.
ED raids multiple premises of 'Empuraan' producer Gokulam Gopalan
Amid the controversy surrounding Malayalam film ‘Empuraan’ starring superstar Mohanlal, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Friday conducted raids at multiple premises linked to film’s producer Gokulam Gopalan.
SC declines PIL seeking restriction of social media platforms for kids below 13 years
The Supreme Court on Friday refused to entertain a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking urgent judicial intervention to regulate access to social media platforms for children below 13 years of age.
BIMSTEC Summit: PM Modi, Yunus meet amid strained ties
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held a bilateral meeting with Muhammad Yunus, Chief Advisor of Bangladeshi interim government, on the sidelines of the 6th BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.
Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump's reciprocal tariffs
The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as the dollar index and oil prices dropped sharply amid concerns over recession in the US economy after the reciprocal tariffs were announced.
Quad to send $20 million relief support to earthquake-ravaged Myanmar
Quad members Australia, India, Japan, and the United States on Friday collectively committed over $20 million in humanitarian assistance to support the relief efforts for the earthquake-devastated Myanmar.
'Waqf Bill will benefit Muslims, no threat to religious sites,' says Shahabuddin Razvi
Maulana Shahabuddin Razvi, the National President of All India Muslim Jamaat, expressed his support for the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, stating that it would significantly benefit Muslims and ensure the betterment of their socio-economic conditions.