President-elect Donald Trump has said that he "most likely" would give TikTok 90 more days to work out a deal that would allow the popular video-sharing platform to avoid a US ban.
In an NBC News interview, Trump said on Saturday that he hadn't made a decision yet but was considering giving TikTok a reprieve after his inauguration on Monday.
A law banning mobile app stores and internet hosting services from offering TikTok to US users will come into effect on Sunday.
The law, passed by Congress and signed by President Joe Biden last year, gave TikTok's China-based parent company nine months to sell its US operations to an approved buyer. It also permits the sitting President to extend the deadline if a sale is underway.
“I think that would be, certainly, an option that we look at. The 90-day extension is something that will be most likely done, because it's appropriate. You know, it's appropriate,” Trump told “Meet the Press” moderator Kristen Welker in a phone interview.
“We have to look at it carefully. It's a very big situation. If I decide to do that, I'll probably announce it on Monday," he said.
White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said on Friday that the Biden administration would leave the implementation of the law to Trump, as his inauguration is the day after the ban takes effect.
In a statement later Friday, TikTok asked for "a definitive statement" saying the Biden administration would not enforce the law or try to fine app store operators like Apple and Google and other US companies if they don't stop making TikTok available on Sunday.
Without those assurances, TikTok said it "will be forced to go dark".
But the company did not provide details, including whether it would voluntarily shut down its US platform at midnight or suspend its operations after losing access to service providers it relies on.
The White House on Saturday called TikTok's statement "a stunt".
"We see no reason for TikTok or other companies to take actions in the next few days before the Trump administration takes office on Monday," Jean-Pierre said.
"We have laid out our position clearly and straightforwardly: actions to implement this law will fall to the next administration. So TikTok and other companies should take up any concerns with them."
Neither Apple, Google or Oracle, which hosts TikTok's data on its servers, have responded to questions about what they plan to do on Sunday.
Tripura has 94,723 Lakhpati Didis; 93,425 women to get similar status soon: Minister
Among the 4,75,582 Self Help Group (SHGs) members in Tripura, 94,723 women emerged as ‘Lakhpati Didis’ through their engagement in various enterprising units and 93,425 more women would be ‘Lakhpati Didis’ soon, Social Welfare and Labour Minister Tinku Roy said.
Bhavan’s Little Learners celebrate annual programme
The Bhavan’s Little Learners, Bordowali celebrated annual programme and organised prize distribution ceremony here at Agartala Rabindra Satabarshiki Bhavan on Wednesday.
Govt working to boost agricultural production to make Tripura self-reliant: Minister Ratan Lal Nath
The Tripura government is contemplating to make Tripura self-reliant in agricultural production, said agriculture minister Ratan Lal Nath on Wednesday.
Scholarship Fraud: Tribal Welfare Dept issues show cause to 34 students
In a major crackdown on scholarship fraud, the Tripura Tribal Welfare Department has issued show cause notices to 34 students for allegedly submitting fake income certificates to avail the Scheduled Tribe (ST) Post-Matric Scholarship for the academic year 2023-24.
Fall of Congress in Gujarat: Three decades of decline and struggle for relevance
The Congress party was once the dominant political force in Gujarat, shaping the state’s governance since independence. However, over the past 30 years, the party has witnessed a dramatic downfall, losing ground to the BJP’s aggressive electoral strategies, organisational strength, and ideological appeal.
‘Disempowering Muslims’: J&K political parties oppose Waqf (Amendment) Bill
All political parties of J&K, except the BJP, opposed the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, saying that the Bill is intended to disempower Muslims and only target one religion.
Radical group founder wanted in Jaipur serial blast plot apprehended in Ratlam
The Madhya Pradesh Police in Ratlam achieved a significant breakthrough in apprehending Firoz, also known as Sabji, a fugitive implicated in a conspiracy to execute serial blasts aimed at creating panic and terrorising the Rajasthan capital city of Jaipur.
Amit Shah & Akhilesh Yadav’s lighter exchange in LS over party president
Amid the uproar and heated debate between the ruling party and the Opposition over the Waqf Amendment Bill on Wednesday, the Lok Sabha witnessed some lighter moments between Home Minister Amit Shah and SP President Akhilesh Yadav.