Hyderabad police have so far registered eight cases in connection with anonymous bomb threats to flights at Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA), a police official said on Wednesday.
The bomb threats were made on the social media platform X over the last one week, but all were proved hoaxes after a thorough checking of flights and the airport premises.
The police have formed special teams to trace those making bomb threats.
RGIA Circle Inspector K. Balaraju said six of the bomb threats were received on Tuesday alone.
"The bomb threats were made to five lights of IndiGo and one Air India,” he said.
Two of the IndiGo flights were scheduled to depart for Chennai while the Air India flight was bound for the RGIA from Chennai.
The official said by making the bomb threats, attempts were being made to create fear. The anonymous persons have been booked for creating fear and causing flight delays.
Six threats pertaining to flights from the RGIA were among 72 threats received across the country on Tuesday. The threats from unidentified users on X were disrupting air travel.
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and other security agencies with sniffer dog squads were undertaking extensive searches after every alert. The flights, luggage, and airport premises were being checked thoroughly.
Police officials said the bomb threats were not only disrupting air travel but were also straining security resources and affecting passenger confidence.
According to Balaraju, after receiving every bomb threat, it is taking at least two hours to isolate the flight and check the aircraft, luggage, and passengers.
Hundreds of flights across the country have received bomb threats over the last 10 days, disrupting air travel. All the threats were proved hoaxes after thorough checks by the security agencies. The series of bomb threats triggered panic, caused flight delays and led to increased security at airports and other establishments.
Police in Maharashtra’s Nagpur on Tuesday identified a 35-year-old man as the person behind a spate of hoax bomb threats. The suspect, identified as Jagdish Uikey, is reported to be absconding.
Tripura LoP Jitendra Choudhury replaces ex-CM Manik Sarkar as CPI-M politburo member
Leader of the Opposition (LoP) and CPI-M Tripura State Secretary Jitendra Choudhury on Sunday replaced former Chief Minister Manik Sarkar in the party's politburo, becoming the third communist leader from the state to have become a member of the party's highest policy-making body.
Bengal LoP participates in Ram Mandir stone laying ceremony at Bengal's Nandigram
The Leader of the Opposition in West Bengal Assembly, Suvendu Adhikari, on Sunday participated in the foundation stone laying ceremony for a Ram Temple in his constituency, Nandigram in East Midnapore district.
Explosive shells, cartridges found in well; MP Police await experts' report
The police authorities are awaiting an expert analysis following the discovery of numerous army-grade hand grenade shells and cartridges concealed within a well in the Ranjhi Amnala area of Madhhya Pradesh's Jabalpur.
Pamban Bridge brings technology and tradition together: PM Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday said that the Pamban Bridge in Tamil Nadu's Rameswaram brings technology and tradition together and will facilitate connectivity for commuters and pilgrims.
Indian Navy provides critical medical help to Pak national in Central Arabian Sea
The Navy's mission deployed stealth frigate INS Trikand, operating in the Central Arabian Sea, provided the urgent critical medical assistance to the Pakistani crew. The naval medical team performed a surgical procedure here to save the injured person.
With 17.02 hours debate, Waqf Bill discussion in RS broke previous record of 16.55 hours
The extensive and rigorous debate on the Waqf (Amendment) Bill in the Rajya Sabha last week came as not just another defining moment of the Parliamentary journey, but it also set a new benchmark by scripting new record of having longest discussion in the history of the Upper House.