Meta (formerly Facebook) has worked with the US National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) to expand the 'Take It Down' programme to more countries and languages to help millions of teens combat sextortion.
"Take It Down is a programme designed to help teens take back control of their intimate images and help prevent people -- whether it’s scammers, ex-partners, or anyone else -- from spreading them online," Meta said in a blogpost on Tuesday.
First launched last year in English and Spanish, Meta and NCMEC have now expanded the platform to many more countries and languages. It is now available in 25 more languages.
The programme is now available in Hindi, Chinese, French, German, Icelandic, Portuguese, Urdu, Tagalog, Bengali, Thai, Arabic, Dutch, Tamil, Turkish, Italian, Khmer, Kurdish, Bahasa Indonesian, Malayalam, Marathi, Sinhalese, Vietnamese and Korean.
The platform is designed to assist individuals under the age of 18 who are concerned about their online content being posted or potentially being posted. It can also be used by parents or trusted adults to seek help for a young person.
Additionally, adults who are worried about images taken of them when they were under 18 can also use the platform.
The tech giant also mentioned that it has worked with Thorn, a nonprofit that builds technology to defend children from sexual abuse, to develop updated guidance for teens on how to take back control if someone is sextorting them.
It also includes advice for parents and teachers on how to support their teens or students if they’re affected by these scams.
These updates come after Meta Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg apologised to families at the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on kids' online safety in the US.
When Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) pressed Zuckerberg to apologise to families who attended the hearing, calling attention to kids who were targeted by predators online, Zuckerberg offered his apology.
PM Modi unveils 21-point action plan at 6th BIMSTEC Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday presented a comprehensive 21-point action plan during the sixth BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, laying out an ambitious road map for cooperation across diverse sectors.
BIMSTEC Summit: PM Modi, Yunus meet amid strained ties
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held a bilateral meeting with Muhammad Yunus, Chief Advisor of Bangladeshi interim government, on the sidelines of the 6th BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.
BIMSTEC Summit: PM Modi reaffirms commitment to regional cooperation
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, along with other BIMSTEC leaders, reaffirmed his commitment to strengthening cooperation across various sectors as he attended the 6th BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok on Friday.
India, South Korea discuss measures to bolster trade cooperation
South Korea and India held a joint forum on growth strategy on Friday and discussed measures to expand bilateral cooperation in trade, Seoul's industry ministry said.
BIMSTEC Summit: PM Modi, Myanmar's Aung Hlaing discuss quake relief, bilateral ties
Prime Minister Narendra Modi met Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, the head of Myanmar's military-led government, on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, discussing efforts to strengthen bilateral ties and extend support following the devastating earthquake that struck Myanmar.
South Korea: Constitutional Court upholds Yoon's impeachment, removes him from office
The Constitutional Court unanimously upheld the impeachment of President Yoon Suk Yeol on Friday, removing him from office over his short-lived imposition of martial law in December.
Mistake that benefits no one: World leaders react to Trump's 'reciprocal tariffs'
As US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on the so-called "reciprocal tariffs," the world reacted sharply against the decision, with some calling it a "mistake that benefits no one" while others called it a violation of Washington's obligations under the World Trade Organization (WTO).