Delhi Police is likely to submit a charge sheet, running to over 9,000 pages, in the NewsClick case in a court here on Saturday, accusing its founder and Editor-in-Chief Prabir Purkayastha of accepting foreign funds to destabilise the country, sources said.
According to official sources, the charge sheet contains information regarding 480 electronic devices confiscated during various raids conducted throughout the investigation period.
Sources told IANS that Purkayastha has been identified as the primary suspect, while Amit Chakravarty, the HR head, has been granted the role of a witness. Chakravarty had submitted an application to a Delhi Court in December 2023, seeking to testify as a government witness.
The charge sheet alleges that Purkayastha accepted funds to undermine the stability of the nation by fabricating narratives and attempting to disrupt the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
Although the specific IPC sections are yet to be disclosed, it is anticipated that the charge sheet will invoke provisions of the stringent Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA).
As per the First Information Report (FIR) filed by the Delhi Police on August 17 last year, substantial sums of money were clandestinely transferred from China through a convoluted route. This money was then utilised to disseminate paid news articles deliberately criticising India's domestic policies and developmental initiatives while endorsing, advocating, and defending policies and initiatives of the Chinese government.
The allegations against NewsClick are they received approximately Rs 38 crore in funding from abroad, sources said.
The Delhi Police initiated this case based on information provided by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) following its investigation last year.
The police FIR alleges that American billionaire Neville Roy Singham was continuously funding NewsClick.
On August 5, The New York Times published an article titled "A US Tech Mogul Linked to a Global Web of Chinese Propaganda," alleging that NewsClick, a news portal, was part of a global network receiving funding from American millionaire Singham, who was purportedly closely associated with Chinese government media.
Citing the NYT report, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Singh Thakur asserted that Congress, China, and NewsClick had an "anti-India umbilical cord" and were pushing the agenda of the Communist Party of China through the website.
After the NYT report, NewsClick issued a statement two days later, denying the allegations as baseless and lacking factual or legal support.
Interestingly, the FIR in the NewsClick case also mentioned activist and journalist Gautam Navlakha, who, according to the police, has been a shareholder in the Newsclick company since 2018.
The police alleged that Navlakha had been involved in anti-Indian activities, including active support for banned Maoist organisations and maintaining an anti-national connection with Ghulam Nabi Fai, an ISI agent from Pakistan.
According to the FIR, Navlakha has been associated with Purkayastha since 1991, when they established a company through which Purkayastha purportedly illicitly diverted foreign funds.
Manipur Police arrest 11 militants, recover large cache of arms, ammunition
The Manipur Police arrested 11 militants belonging to various banned outfits and recovered a large cache of arms and ammunition during the past 24 hours, officials said here on Friday.
PM Modi unveils 21-point action plan at 6th BIMSTEC Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday presented a comprehensive 21-point action plan during the sixth BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, laying out an ambitious road map for cooperation across diverse sectors.
ED raids multiple premises of 'Empuraan' producer Gokulam Gopalan
Amid the controversy surrounding Malayalam film ‘Empuraan’ starring superstar Mohanlal, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Friday conducted raids at multiple premises linked to film’s producer Gokulam Gopalan.
SC declines PIL seeking restriction of social media platforms for kids below 13 years
The Supreme Court on Friday refused to entertain a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking urgent judicial intervention to regulate access to social media platforms for children below 13 years of age.
BIMSTEC Summit: PM Modi, Yunus meet amid strained ties
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held a bilateral meeting with Muhammad Yunus, Chief Advisor of Bangladeshi interim government, on the sidelines of the 6th BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.
Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump's reciprocal tariffs
The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as the dollar index and oil prices dropped sharply amid concerns over recession in the US economy after the reciprocal tariffs were announced.
Quad to send $20 million relief support to earthquake-ravaged Myanmar
Quad members Australia, India, Japan, and the United States on Friday collectively committed over $20 million in humanitarian assistance to support the relief efforts for the earthquake-devastated Myanmar.
'Waqf Bill will benefit Muslims, no threat to religious sites,' says Shahabuddin Razvi
Maulana Shahabuddin Razvi, the National President of All India Muslim Jamaat, expressed his support for the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, stating that it would significantly benefit Muslims and ensure the betterment of their socio-economic conditions.