North Korea fired what it claims to be a "space launch vehicle" son Wednesday, but it fell into the Yellow Sea after an "abnormal" flight, the South Korean military said, in a botched launch that defied international criticism and warnings.
The North confirmed the failure, saying its new "Chollima-1" rocket carrying a military reconnaissance satellite, "Malligyong-1", fell into the sea due to the "abnormal starting of the second-stage engine". according to its official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
It plans to conduct a second launch as soon as possible, Yonhap News Agency quoted the KCNA as saying.
Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it detected the launch from Tongchang-ri on the North's west coast at 6.29 a.m. and the projectile fell into waters some 200 km west of the South's southwestern island of Eocheong following its flight over the waters far west of the border island of Baengnyeong.
The South Korean military identified an apparent part of the North's vehicle and retrieved it, the JCS added.
The North notified Japan and the International Maritime Organization of its plan earlier this week to launch a satellite between May 31 and June 11 despite criticism that it would violate UN Security Council resolutions banning any launch using ballistic missile technology.
The reclusive regime last launched a rocket carrying what it called a "Kwangmyongsong-4" satellite in February 2016.
On Tuesday, Ri Pyong-chol, vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of the North's ruling Workers' Party of Korea, had made the launch plan official, defending its pursuit of the satellite and other reconnaissance means as "indispensable" to cope with "dangerous military acts of the US and South Korea".
The rocket launch marks the North's first such provocation since it fired what it claimed to be a Hwasong-18 intercontinental ballistic missile on April 13.
The North previously launched what it called a satellite-carrying rocket five times -- one each in 1998, 2009 and 2016, and twice in 2012.
The country claimed to have put a satellite into orbit after its launch in December 2012 and 2016.
But it remains unknown whether they have been functioning normally.
New AI algorithm to predict risk of cardiovascular events, heart-related death
A team of researchers in South Korea has developed a novel artificial intelligence (AI)-based algorithm that uses electrocardiograph (ECG)2 data to predict the risk of cardiovascular events, and heart-related death.
India successfully flight-tests indigenously-developed vertically-launched Surface-to-Air Missile
In a boost to India's precision firepower, the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Indian Navy conducted the successful flight-test of indigenously-developed Vertically-Launched Short-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (VLSRSAM) on Wednesday, an official statement said.
Unplanned welcome: Dolphins greet astronauts as they return home after extended space mission
Astronauts Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore, along with NASA’s Nick Hague and Russian cosmonaut Aleksandr Gorbunov, have returned to Earth after a lengthy journey that turned a planned eight-day mission into a nine-month in space.
Stranded US astronauts return to Earth, after nine months in space
The SpaceX Dragon spacecraft carrying them and two other astronauts—Nick Hague and Russian cosmonaut Aleksandr Gorbunov—splashed down into the waters off the coast of Florida state just minutes before 6 p.m., as NASA had announced.
Google to acquire cloud security platform Wiz for $32 billion
Tech major Google on Tuesday announced to acquire Wiz, a leading cloud security platform headquartered in New York, for $32 billion in an all-cash transaction.
Ahead of Sunita William’s ‘homecoming’, PM Modi pens letter to India’s illustrious daughter
As the NASA astronauts Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore begin their journey back home from space, after staying ‘stranded’ at the International Space Station (ISS) for about nine months, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has written a letter to one of India’s most illustrious daughters hoping for her safe return.
Sunita Williams set to return to Earth tomorrow
With the pair of US astronauts stranded for more than nine months on the International Space Station (ISS), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has confirmed that the duo will return to Earth on Tuesday evening.
SpaceX crew-10 docks at ISS, to bring home Sunita Williams, Butch Wilmore this week
SpaceX's Crew-10 mission successfully docked at the International Space Station (ISS) on Sunday, bringing hope for the return of two NASA astronauts -- Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore -- who have been stuck in orbit for months.