The indication from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is that a rate cut can be expected only in Q1 of FY 25 and this will be a headwind for the market, says V.K. Vijayakumar, Chief Investment Strategist at Geojit Financial Services.
But the market is likely to remain strong, with banks, capital goods and autos likely to do well, going forward, he said.
Inflation data from the US indicate that the soft landing narrative is intact. The Federal Reserve is likely to pause in September. This will support global equity markets.
The only negative from the RBI’s message on Thursdat is the hike in CRR to neutralise the excess liquidity created by the withdrawal of the Rs 2,000 notes, he said.
The sentimental impact of this decision is unlikely to last long since it will not impact the banking sector’s bottom line much since the NPAs of banks are coming down and the credit growth in the economy is good, he added.
BSE Sensex was down 312 points at 65,375 points on Friday morning.
The major losers were Sun Pharma, Indusind Bank, JSW Steel and HUL.
Startup funding jumps 2.3 times to $357 million this week
India’s startup ecosystem witnessed a strong funding rebound this week, with total investments soaring over 2.3 times to around $357.29 million across 30 deals, compared to $152.49 million raised by 23 startups last week.
India steps up vigil against cheap Chinese imports amid US tariff hike
India has stepped up vigil to prevent the dumping of cheap Chinese imports in the country after the steep US tariff hike on the goods exported by the Communist country.
Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump's reciprocal tariffs
The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as the dollar index and oil prices dropped sharply amid concerns over recession in the US economy after the reciprocal tariffs were announced.
Sensex, Nifty open lower amid weak global cues post Trump tariffs
Indian frontline indices opened in the red on Friday following global sell-off in the equity markets in reaction to the reciprocal tariffs announced by US President Donald Trump.