President-elect Donald Trump has vowed to issue an executive order delaying a looming ban on the widely popular app to allow time to "make a deal" and called for the US to take part-ownership in TikTok.
Trump's announcement came on Sunday, hours after TikTok went dark in the US under a law banning it in the name of national security, as a deadline for its Chinese owners ByteDance to sell its US subsidiary to non-Chinese buyers lapsed.
The law however includes a clause allowing for a 90-day delay if the White House can show progress toward a viable deal, but so far ByteDance has flatly refused any sale.
Outgoing President Joe Biden's administration said it would leave the matter to Trump -- who takes office on Monday -- and that it would not enforce any ban.
"I will issue an executive order on Monday to extend the period of time before the law's prohibitions take effect, so that we can make a deal to protect our national security," Trump said on his Truth Social platform.
He said he "would like the US to have a 50 per cent ownership position in a joint venture," arguing that the app's value could surge to "hundreds of billions of dollars -- maybe trillions".
"By doing this, we save TikTok, keep it in good hands," Trump wrote.
But Tiktok is also rife with disinformation, and its Chinese ownership has long spurred national security fears, internationally as well as in the US.
In an earlier message to dismayed users trying to access the app on Sunday, TikTok said "we are fortunate that President Trump has indicated that he will work with us on a solution to reinstate TikTok once he takes office. Please stay tuned!"
Trump, who had previously backed a TikTok ban and during his first term in office made moves towards one, did not offer further details on how such a deal would work.
Sunday's blackout came after the US Supreme Court on Friday upheld the legislation banning it pending any sale.
But the app now has a fan in Trump, who -- since signing an executive order stepping up pressure on ByteDance to sell in 2020 -- has since credited the app with connecting him to younger voters.
It is unclear what the incoming President can do to lift the ban unless ByteDance sells, however.
"Congress wrote this law to be virtually president-proof," warned Adam Kovacevich, chief executive of industry trade group Chamber of Progress.
Besides removing TikTok from app stores, the law requires Apple and Google to block new downloads, with the companies liable for penalties of up to $5,000 per user if the app is accessed.
Oracle, which hosts TikTok's servers, would also be legally obligated to enforce the ban.
Other social media platforms such as X were flooded with memes and comments mourning the move Sunday -- though some posts were more cynical, with many pointing to Trump's own previous efforts to ban TikTok.
In Europe, TikTok's suspension drew praise from the Foreign Minister of Estonia -- among the countries most resilient to disinformation, according to the European Media Literacy Index.
The proposal did not include a price but the source estimated it would cost at least $50 billion.
Frank McCourt, the former Los Angeles Dodgers owner, has also made an offer to purchase TikTok's US activities.
Manipur Police arrest 11 militants, recover large cache of arms, ammunition
The Manipur Police arrested 11 militants belonging to various banned outfits and recovered a large cache of arms and ammunition during the past 24 hours, officials said here on Friday.
PM Modi unveils 21-point action plan at 6th BIMSTEC Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday presented a comprehensive 21-point action plan during the sixth BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, laying out an ambitious road map for cooperation across diverse sectors.
ED raids multiple premises of 'Empuraan' producer Gokulam Gopalan
Amid the controversy surrounding Malayalam film ‘Empuraan’ starring superstar Mohanlal, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Friday conducted raids at multiple premises linked to film’s producer Gokulam Gopalan.
SC declines PIL seeking restriction of social media platforms for kids below 13 years
The Supreme Court on Friday refused to entertain a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking urgent judicial intervention to regulate access to social media platforms for children below 13 years of age.
BIMSTEC Summit: PM Modi, Yunus meet amid strained ties
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held a bilateral meeting with Muhammad Yunus, Chief Advisor of Bangladeshi interim government, on the sidelines of the 6th BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.
Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump's reciprocal tariffs
The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as the dollar index and oil prices dropped sharply amid concerns over recession in the US economy after the reciprocal tariffs were announced.
Quad to send $20 million relief support to earthquake-ravaged Myanmar
Quad members Australia, India, Japan, and the United States on Friday collectively committed over $20 million in humanitarian assistance to support the relief efforts for the earthquake-devastated Myanmar.
'Waqf Bill will benefit Muslims, no threat to religious sites,' says Shahabuddin Razvi
Maulana Shahabuddin Razvi, the National President of All India Muslim Jamaat, expressed his support for the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, stating that it would significantly benefit Muslims and ensure the betterment of their socio-economic conditions.